We call access databases to those databases based on Microsoft Access or Microsoft Office Access. The Access databases are primarily designed for individuals and for small and medium companies that want to capture, manage, and communicate data in a professional manner.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ACCESS DATABASES?
- Ease of Integration: Access databases work very well with many of the Windows-based software development programs. Your tables can also be used in products such as Microsoft SQL Server and in other non-Microsoft based products such as Oracle and Sybase.
- NET-friendly: Access databases are also a good option for users who intend to develop software using .NET since MS Access and.NEt can be linked. In addition, the MS Access graphical user interface can also offer easy functionality and configuration possibilities.
- Very popular: Microsoft Access is the most popular desktop database system in the world, so access databases can be understood by most database users.
- Convenient storage capacity: An access database can store up to 2 GB of data, which is more than enough for a large majority of developments.
- Multi-user support: The 2016 version of MS Access allows up to 255 concurrent users.
- Importing data: Microsoft Access makes it very easy to import data.
DISADVANTAGES OF ACCESS DATABASES?
- Finite Capability: Access databases are useful for small and medium businesses or individual departments. Any sector whose use goes beyond 2 GB will hit a wall and discover the limitations.
- Structured Query Language (SQL): SQL for MS Access is not as robust as MS SQL Server or Oracle, to name but a few.
- Multiple Windows operating systems could corrupt the database: It is possible that on your network, there are several Windows operating systems on different computers that are used for different uses in your company from a Windows 98 to the current Windows 10. When a database is shared with users of mixed operating systems, it is possible that the information is collected may be corrupted.
- A single file: All the information in your database is saved in a single file. This limits the options and how to choose to use the data. Slows down reports, queries, and forms. Its performance slows down as the user scales the size of the data. Multimedia data can fill the MS Access space limit quickly.
- User limit: The technical limit of access databases is 255 users at the same time, but the actual limit is between 10 and 80 (depending on the type of application).
ALTERNATIVES TO MICROSOFT ACCESS
- FileMaker Pro – is a cross-platform relational database application from FileMaker Inc. It integrates a database engine with a graphical user interface and security features, allowing users to modify the database by dragging new items onto screens or forms.
- Alfa Five / Alfa Anywhere: Alpha Five is a relational database management system and a rapid application development platform for building cross-platform mobile, web, and desktop applications. Alfa Five is no longer available because Alfa Software has migrated to a subscription-based model called Alfa Anywhere that also enables mobile computing.